I’ve been volunteering with STC since I first joined in 2005, but began contributing even before that.
Chapter Level – Philadelphia Metro Chapter
- Founded a scholarship program, which ran from 2005-2010, awarding $1000 scholarships to undergraduate students. In 2015 this program was reinvented by PMC’s Academic Outreach team.
- Starting in 2008, I assisted with the organization and implementation of STC-PMC’s Mid Atlantic Tech Comm Conference: CONDUIT.
- Elected chapter treasurer, a position I held from 2010 until 2015. At the 2013 Summit Leadership Day I was cited during former STC CFO Greg Larsen’s presentation as having exemplary chapter finances.
- STC-PMC has a Regional TechComm Competition. As a member of the PMC Admin Council I helped work out the details of the competition with our partner chapter, New York Metro. This competition has grown to include Houston, Rochester, and Atlanta, in addition to New York.
- Around 2012 I took over the role of chapter webmaster. I updated and revitalized the website bringing in a modern theme and automating posts. I continued to manage the website and chapter technology until 2015.
- In 2015, I was awarded the Distinguished Chapter Service Award for STC-PMC. My award says, “For your dedication in serving the Philadelphia Metro Chapter in many capacities over the years, including Treasurer, Webmaster, and Scholarship Chair.”
- Elected chapter vice president in 2015. I scheduled one of our best-attended events in 2015. It was a workshop at Drexel University and a joint program that involved students in their technical communication program.
- In 2016, I became chapter president. My major initiative was to increase academic outreach and get more students involved, via a mentor program. For 2017, my chapter won Community of the Year and a Community Pacesetter Award.
- In 2012, and again in 2015, I was invited to be a chapter liaison for the Budget Review Committee. This committee examines all community budgets and offers advice to the chapters and SIGs.
- I joined the Community Affairs Committee in 2015 to start their new website. The Society had the SIGs move to in-house hosting and the CAC website was designed to use the basic template given to SIGs. As part of my chapter outreach I helped communities move to Society hosting to save them money, and to redo their websites.
- STC wanted to evaluate how chapters ran scholarship programs, so I joined the Scholarship Task Force in 2015, and then the subsequent Scholarship Committee in 2016.
- In 2016, STC named me an Associate Fellow. My award reads, “The Society for Technical Communication has conferred upon Timothy Esposito the rank of Associate Fellow. For dedicated leadership in the Philadelphia Metro Chapter, guidance to new technical communicators, and instruction to the Society leaders.”
- Starting in 2016, I’ve written book reviews for the Technical Communication journal.
- In 2017, I unsuccessfully ran for the position of Treasurer on the STC Board.
- In the summer of 2017 I became the chair for the Distinguished Community Service Award Committee.
- In 2018 I became the chair for the Community Achievement Award and Community Pacesetter Award committee.
- In the fall of 2018, I was asked to join the Conference Committee, where I reviewed presentation submissions for Summit 2019 in the Content Design and Delivery track.